Negotiations have a direct and measurable impact on your (professional) relationships and your ability to seize opportunities. Negotiations permeate our personal and professional lives and you engage in some form of negotiation every single day. How do you get to be in control, more alert about the risks and opportunities involved and more skilful at steering a situation in your favor?
Negotiation Dynamics is an intensive and hands-on program during which you will grasp the key elements of negotiation analysis and practice a multitude of ‘live’ cases. The 3-day program will facilitate you in greatly sharpening your negotiation skills and enlarging your repertoire.
“It gave me so much inspiration and intellectual stimulation. Wonderful! Thank you.”
Treasury Manager Royal Vopak, The Netherlands
Learning by doing
The best way to learn about negotiation is to negotiate. You gain invaluable experience by engaging in a broad range of face-to-face negotiations. That way the discussed theories become (personal) insights.
Real life cases
All the material, cases and role-plays are based on real-life negotiations. ‘War stories’, examples and anecdotes are drawn from thirty years of negotiating experience.
Throughout the program, particular emphasis is given to negotiation practice, captured over the years by the experience of state-of-the-art negotiation professionals worldwide.
How you will benefit
- Master price negotiations
- Learn to structure complex package deals
- Identify opportunities to create value
- Avoid arguments
- Maintain composure under pressure
- Manage sound long-term business relations
|Day 1||09:00 – 18:00|
|Day 2||08:30 – 18:00|
|Day 3||08:30 – 18:00|
We offer carefully crafted learning paths designed to help you dive deeper into various facets of finance. Take the next step in your professional learning path by choosing one or more of our specialized programs, for example:
Price negotiations – concepts and tactics
- Diagnosis and preparation
- The twin pillars of bargaining power: alternatives and information
- Opening offers
- Concession patterns
- Focal points and commitment
- Closing the deal
Package deals – defining the optimal ‘architecture’ of complex agreements
- Creating a negotiable agenda
- Homans’ Law
- Salami slicing
- Evaluating tradeoffs: ‘efficiency ratios’
- Exploring options
- Using MESOS
Breaking deadlock – a process perspective
- Aggressive negotiating challenges
- Stand-offs, stalling tactics and waiting games
- Conflict escalation: structural characteristics and psychological dynamics
- Changing the structure of the problem: ‘The issue is never the issue’
- A process perspective on breaking deadlock: the method of the ‘five A’s’
Negotiating deals in an uncertain environment
- The challenges of negotiating long-term contracts in an uncertain environment
- Identifying opportunities to create value
- Playing on differences between negotiating partners to create value
- Creating ‘expected’ value: opportunities and limits
- Competition: playing on differences to lock in sustainable competitive advantage
The ‘Nuts and Bolts’ of Negotiation: Handling Common Negotiation Challenges
- Retaining composure under pressure
- Handling tough questions
- Spotting lies – and knowing how to deal with them
- Handling common negotiation challenges
- “We like your solution but we haven’t got the budget for that”
- “We already have another proposal …”
- “Is that your final offer?”
- “Too expensive”
- “I’m prepared to meet you half way”
Asymmetric information: when parties have totally different views of the world
- Gaining personal credibility: a process perspective
- ‘Show, Don’t Tell’: Using proposals to overcome the credibility gap
- Promises and threats
- The negotiation time frame
There is some preparatory work required for this program. Pre-readings consist of case materials, that will be made available a few weeks prior to the program.
To ensure maximum benefit from the program for participant and fellow-participants, we strongly advise to prepare prior to attending.
> ‘Why complex negotiations are easier than simple ones’ with Prof. Ingemar Dierickx.
Negotiations permeate our personal and professional lives and you engage in some form of negotiation every single day. While the Negotiation Dynamics program will benefit virtually all professionals, it will be of particular interest to:
- Investment bankers
- Executives in liaison roles such as country managers
- Sales managers
- Key account managers
- Managers handling procurement
Participants wishing to enroll in the program should have experience in actual negotiations, for both their own benefit and the benefit of other participants. Please contact us should you feel the need to verify your level of knowledge, and/or the relevance of your work context.
Is this program not the right fit for you?
We offer other programs which you might find more interesting or useful, such as: